Android IDE (AIDE) Support Forum

(Solution) App crashes when adding more libraries (64k methods limit) in build.graddle discution

Tried to enable multidex in every single way in my project, without success, my app was crashing when trying to use firebase in my app, always threw class not found exception, so untill I disable card view library, it worked again, but when I tried to add one more method (just setting ID to my edittext) it threw same error, so to keep working in aide (because is easy and you can develop anytime) Found out that to reduce un-needed methods we can stop using references as strings.xml the less references you have there is better, also in colors.xml , un-needed drawables (delete them) , in styles xml as well avoid using them. Just write values directly to your view in xml.

Any others ideas based on your experience are welcome !!!

For multidexing, i set the minimum sdk to 21.

Tried that, without success

That was 3 months ago. I’m now having terrible issues with multidexing

Those are all the libraries that I can use, had to delete card view support :pensive:, but at least my app compile and is full functional, without the need of supporting multidex.

1 Like

Same here. Can’t add any more methods coz I’ve already added too many! Reversing the actions did not work as supposed and now I’m stuck with a crashing app with multidex enabled.

@trixi We need urgent help here from the devs. I’m really starting to feel disappointed in them. There hasn’t been a significant update since forever. Even the simple auto rotation was not solved.

1 Like

Can I help? Let me take a look at your graddle

This was all functional until I added ONE single line to the manifest and it asked for multidexing. Deleting that line still prompts for multidexing

For sure due to the amount of dependencies, you are running out of methods, and for sure AIDE is gonna ask for multidex, make a copy of your project and try deleting cardview dependency, (also from xml layouts and solve all missing dependencies errors), then refresh build and try to compile again, if still prompted to enable multidex, get ride of any other dependency, and refresh build again.

This is truly a big project that I have been making usable in AIDE for almost a month now and it’s still not complete. The original project was not usable at all until I rewrote the whole codes copy-pasting and getting rid of methods and stuff that I thought were not necessary. So getting rid of dependencies is not really a good option but I think I don’t have any other options.

Sadly that’s true, keep it up doing the good work, with just the necessary dependencies, hoping some day we’ll get a really important and useful update from AIDE. And do whatever as we please.

1 Like

I found out that multidexing works with support libraries version 25

How come? 25+ and above? Or just 25

Haven’t tried with above 25.+

1 Like

So basically the multidexing issues seem to be because of the support libraries. I could be wrong!

I’ll give it a try and let you know. I hope this fixes it.

Don’t forget that other libraries must be of the same version as the support libraries

Sure I got the idea!

And as a side note this is a different project than the one that I could not multidex