Android IDE (AIDE) Support Forum

Can not view the layout. Attempt to invoke interface method on null object reference

I’m having a problem with the layout view, when I use a resource in any view (like @string or @android) the layout doesn’t load in the viewer and says “Can not view the layout. Attempt to invoke interface method ‘java.lang.Object java.util.Map.get(java.lang.Object)’ on null object reference”. It compiles and runs the app fine, however I can’t preview any layouts with resource references. I’ve searched all over the place, I can’t find any solution. I’ve uninstalled/reinstalled, cleared the applications cache, downloaded android.jar and added that as the default jar to use. Nothing seems to fix this. Any help is much appreciated. I’ve included a screenshot of the error

2 Likes

This is the code

try removing src drawable to see whether will it be recused. (remove everything which starts from @)
at present, no methods for fixing this error yet.

1 Like

I am also facing this issue since last updated.i tryed downgrading of app version but still problem exist.then i remembered i recently updated to android 11 on my Samsung m51.then this issue started.so once again i checked on j7max running Android Oreo there is no issue.so i confirmed this is from the developer side error.they not yet updated to android 11.so be patient to wait for new app update.my whole project is stuck due to this problem.i reported to developer but no proper reply yet. its been 7 days i am waiting… waiting…pls report and and force them to update soon.

Everything displays correctly when I remove all references (@'s). I can get TextViews to work with non referenced text, haven’t tried any other views. Also, in regards to Android 11, this problem originated for me before the upgrade, at the least since upgrading to Android 10. Hope the devs fix this issue soon as it renders a lot of this app useless

I have the same problem! Why send out an update, for api 30 Android 11, that is not fully tested!
Aide is the best development tool on the go and I have many serious project developed around Aide’s tools. It is very enoying when the updates is a mess!
Do we have to suggest an update, on the price for Aide, so we can get quicker and more serious updates, on this great tool?

I’ve just started using AIDE and I’m facing the same issue. But disappointed tbh.

I only get this with TextViews. Although I haven’t used AIDE in a month or so. It’s getting frustrating since Androidx is not fully supported.

R.java file fails (R file links Java code and XML)

Is there any way to rebuild my R.java file or fix it?

Fix errors, if there is none then error might be in XML (not finished tag, etc).

You can open R.java file with notepad and reedit it, then save (R.java is auto-generated file is good to not do that). All numbers in R.java should be unique.

Delete R.java (clean, build in Android studio on PC).

I got the same problem with android 11 phone too! Please fix it! I can’t code with this error…

If there is error like that you can still code but you cannot run the application cause it crashes.

R.java cannot been builder if you have errors:
You write some stupid mistake like:
int value = 1.0;

more common error is that any resource has file with big latter.
MyImage.png insta-of my_image.png

When error are fixer it should build normally.

Same Problem Here. Other than that it is Really Greate App For Development of Android Application in Android.